Ideal for new hairdressers, this apprenticeship standard gives you the opportunity to learn and use the core basic skills needed in today’s hairdressing industry. This Hairdressing Professional Level 2 Apprenticeship includes Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths and English (if required).
Benefits for individuals
- Get on the career ladder in the hair industry
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification
- Earn a wage while learning
Benefits for employers
- Hairdressing apprentices who can support your team
- They can help you grow your business
- Employees trained to your standards
The broad purpose of the occupation is to provide a range of hairdressing services that meet client requirements, that are based on a comprehensive consultation, applicable industry tests, whilst maintaining exceptional client care skills, safe working practices, meeting legal, industry and organisation standards, procedures and protocols.
Hairdressing Professionals are creative, passionate, and driven professionals who work without supervision. They provide a quality service, whilst working to the highest standards and continuously developing their personal and professional skills. A Hairdressing Professional works in the hairdressing industry, which is one of the largest, most trusted and fashion forward professions.
They take ownership of their work and client lists, accept responsibility, are proactive, flexible and adaptable, plan their work and time, they aim for excellence by taking exceptional pride in their work and industry
This qualification will help you progress to further qualifications such as:
- Advanced and Creative Hairdressing Professional Level 3 Apprenticeship
- Barbering Professional Level 2 Apprenticeship
Hairdressing kit is required for this apprenticeship.
The apprentice will be able to demonstrate all hairdressing services while applying professional values, behaviours and communication skills. Safe working practices associated with their role must be adhered to without supervision to a high level of precision with exceptional client care skills.
- Duty 1 – Provide a positive impression of yourself, organisation and the hairdressing industry.
- Duty 2 – Adhere to health and safety, infection control, legal, industry and organisational requirements, industry protocols and manufacturer instructions.
- Duty 3 – Advise, consult, examine and analyse the hair, skin and scalp.
- Duty 4 – Shampoo, condition and treat hair and scalp.
- Duty 5 – Cut hair using a range of techniques to create a variety of looks.
- Duty 6 – Style, set, dress and finish hair using a variety of techniques to create a variety of looks.
- Duty 7 – Change the hair classification type by one classification using chemical services
- Duty 8 – Perform a range of chemical services to change the colour depth and tone.
- Duty 9 – Use, apply and recommend a range of products, tools and equipment for a range of services.
- Duty 10 – Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills of new and emerging hairstyles, trends, techniques, products, tools and equipment.
As well as our standard course requirements needed to complete all our apprenticeships and training programmes (please see our General Course Information), candidates need to complete the following:
Portfolio of Evidence
The following are acceptable forms of portfolio evidence, and the most suitable forms will be selected for each unit:
- Products evidence
- Witness testimony
- Reflective accounts
- Professional discussion
- Projects & Assignments
- Case studies
EPA – End Point Assessment
This is the final stage of the apprenticeship.
You will complete a multiple-choice test that lasts 60 minutes.
Practical assessment with questions
You will be observed by an independent assessor completing a set of tasks. It will last 5.5 hours. They will ask you at least 3 questions.
Professional discussion underpinned by a portfolio of evidence
You will have a professional discussion with an independent assessor. It will last 35 minutes. They will ask you at least 6 questions. You need to compile a portfolio of evidence before the EPA gateway.