Ideal for new barbers, this apprenticeship standard gives you the opportunity to learn and use the core basic skills needed in today’s barbering industry. This Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard in Barbering includes Functional Skills Level 1 in Maths and English (if required).
Benefits for individuals
- Get on the career ladder in the barbering industry
- Gain a nationally recognised qualification.
- Earn a wage whilst learning
Benefits for employers
- Barbering apprentices can support your team
- They can help you grow your business
- Employees trained to your standards
This qualification focuses on the essential skills you need to learn as a barber. A Barbering professional at level 2 will be able to shampoo and condition hair, cut hair using a range of barbering techniques, style and finish hair to create a variety of looks, cut facial hair into shape and provide shaving services. Barbers must be able to work with all hair types, characteristics and classifications. They also need to be able to carry out consultations with clients, and demonstrate professionalism, values, behaviours, communication skills, and retail skills alongside safe working practices associated with their role. They must be able to work without supervision to a high level of precision, with exceptional client care skills.
This qualification will help you progress to further qualifications such as:
- Hairdressing Professional Level 2 Apprenticeship
- Learning and Skills Assessor Level 3 Apprenticeship
Barbering kit is required for this apprenticeship.
The apprentice will be able to demonstrate all barbering services while applying professional values, behaviours and communication skills. Safe working practices associated with their role must be adhered to without supervision to a high level of precision with exceptional client care skills.
- Duty 1 – Provide a positive customer experience, showcasing yourself, your
organisation and the barbering industry.
- Duty 2 – Barbershop health and safety, legal and organisational requirements.
- Duty 3 – Determine requirements, advise, discuss and agree the service with the client.
- Duty 4 – Prepare the hair for barbering services.
- Duty 5 – Cut hair using barbering techniques to create a variety of looks.
- Duty 6 – Style and finish using barbering techniques.
- Duty 7 – Cut facial hair into shape.
- Duty 8 – Provide shaving services.
- Duty 9 – Promote self, organisation, products and services using a variety of channels.
- Duty 10 – Maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills of new and emerging hairstyles,
trends, techniques, products, tools and equipment.
As well as our standard course requirements needed to complete all our apprenticeships and training programmes (please see our General Course Information), candidates need to complete the following:
Portfolio of Evidence
The following are acceptable forms of portfolio evidence, and the most suitable forms will be selected for each unit:
- Products evidence
- Witness testimony
- Reflective accounts
- Professional discussion
- Projects & Assignments
- Case studies
EPA – End Point Assessment
This is the final stage of the apprenticeship.
End Point Assessment (EPA) of mandatory skills, knowledge and behaviours specified in the standard; this will be via practical assessment, multiple choice and oral questioning. The practical assessment and oral questioning will include professionalism, values, behaviours, communication, safe working practices and consultation skills.
You will complete a multiple-choice test lasting 30 minutes.
Practical assessment with questions
You will be observed by an independent assessor completing a set of tasks. It will last 3.25 hours. They will ask you at least 3 questions.
Professional discussion underpinned by a portfolio of evidence
You will have a professional discussion with an independent assessor. It will last 45 minutes. They will ask you at least 10 questions. The questions will be about certain aspects of your occupation. You need to compile a portfolio of evidence before the EPA gateway. You can use it to help answer the questions.